“It's pretty difficult to imagine a single person having, simultaneously, the characteristics of the serpent and the dove, but this is what Jesus expects. We must combine the toughness of the serpent and the softness of the dove, a tough mind and a tender heart.” - “A Tough Mind and a Tender Heart”
Where do I start? In Compton, where I met Mayor of Compton Aja Brown and Tom Steyer. I was honored to meet with Aja who is a phenomenal mayor. She brings a spirit of humanity, grace and love to the city of Compton and you feel it when you are with her. Tom and I spoke about sports, business, running for President of the most powerful country in the world and tips for success, right before he jumped on the big stage for the speech he was presenting to those in the Compton area.
It’s not every day that I get to speak with a billionaire philanthropist that is running for president. Tom showed great empathy and humbleness by taking time to speak with me before the show and I appreciate it.
I was interested in knowing more about Tom and his background. He was one of the only people who stood to our current president. He raised money for his own company by making money and he built his business from the ground up. I realized this would be a great person to learn from and to take notes from.
So here are a few things you should know about Tom.
1. He is the founder of Farallon Capital Management
2. In August 2010, Steyer and his wife signed onto The Giving Pledge, an initiative of Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. The pledge urges individuals and families to give at least half their wealth to charitable causes during their lifetime.
3. In 2013, Steyer founded NextGen Climate (now NextGen America), an environmental advocacy nonprofit and political action committee.
4. Beginning in October 2017, Steyer spent approximately $10 million for a television ad campaign advocating the impeachment of President Donald Trump, and more on a digital ad campaign to call for Trump's impeachment.
5. He's a New York Knicks fan!
Check out YRM podcast for a potential live podcast episode with Tom Steyer!
Follow me @hi.forte
Become a member and post your own blogs on YoungRevMinds.com
Let's never forget our fallen activist and change maker Martin Luther King Jr., who was assassinated for sharing truth. Let's not forget that we can make more change with love, care and understanding and that our words carry weight. His dream lives on through me and through you!